ANU Graduate Essentials
Tertiary Administration Program
The ANU, through its strategic plan, recognises that the ‘contributions of highly skilled and dedicated professional staff are critical to the future of the University’ and are ‘an essential element in the success of ANU in meeting the standards of excellence to which we are committed.’
The ANU Graduate Essentials: Tertiary Administration Program seeks to support local areas that currently employ graduates within various administrative and service roles. The Program will focus on addressing key professional development areas for staff looking at future roles such as school managers, executive officers, project officers, and specialist human resources, finance and research management functions across the University.
There is considerable potential value in implementing a formalised, co-ordinated and institutional-wide approach to graduate recruitment and development at ANU, including:
- complementing, consolidating and extending current graduate recruitment activity;
- developing a versatile early career and high potential talent stream for key administrative roles and functions; and
- supporting workforce and succession planning strategies.
The ANU Graduate Essentials: Tertiary Administration Program seeks to:
- build a cohort of outstanding professional staff at the onset of their careers;
- be positioned and supported as a key mechanism to meet critical workforce needs in research management, policy development, general management and tertiary administration; and
- deliver enhanced capacity for Colleges and Divisions to meet their strategic and operational goals.
2012 pilot program
Graduates who have been employed at ANU and who meet the selection criteria below will be invited to apply for a month pilot program of personal and professional development. This will identify and strengthen the current graduate cohort within the University and help refine the Graduate Essentials Tertiary Administration Program for full delivery in 2013.
The cohort for this program will consist of current ANU staff members who:
- possess an undergraduate degree with at least a credit average
- have completed their degree no earlier than 2009
- have strong aptitude for research and analysis of information
- exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- exhibit enthusiasm and responsiveness to dynamic work environment
- and have a strong interest in a career in tertiary administration.
Candidates are asked to complete a brief application addressing the criteria above and will require endorsement from their managers to take part in the pilot. Applications can be obtained by downloading a copy below or by contacting the Centre for Career Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 02 6125 6600. Applications close 28 August 2012.
Following completion of the ANU Graduate Essentials: Tertiary Administration Program, participants will be encouraged – as program alumni – to support and mentor future Program participants, helping to form a network of graduates that will be encouraged and supported to form a community of practice for staff across the ANU. This will be facilitated via the University’s online mentoring system and with the support of a senior consultant from the Centre for Career Development, within Human Resources. Program participants will also be invited to attend and contribute the 2012 ANU Leadership Symposium.
» Download program schedule (PDF, 291KB)